Encountering water damage or a water loss situation is less than ideal on its own, but water damage that’s left behind can lead to mold, and that is a nightmare you most definitely want to avoid! When getting rid of mold in your home, you can’t cut corners. When you’re dealing with mold (or the possibility of mold) due to water damage, here are five reasons why it isn’t something you want to guess about or overlook:
1. Getting rid of mold in your home is not a one-size-fits-all approach.
Mold acts differently based on the material of the item it takes over. The way you clean up after water has gotten into a porous, hard surface is different from how you handle an upholstered couch or old photographs. You need the knowledge and an adequate clean-up process to make a difference and mitigate the mold before it has a chance to breed.
2. There are health concerns with having mold in your home.
Exposure to mold can cause a number of respiratory and skin irritations, regardless of the age of your family members. If someone in your home has an existing health conditions, the effects of mold can worsen those illnesses, which isn’t worth risking due to an incomplete mold clean-up process.
3. Mold is a living organism, which means it can spread.
You’ve probably seen this on bread that’s left out too long: First there’s just a tiny spot of mold, and the next thing you know, the whole loaf is fuzzy. Mold is alive, so getting rid of mold in your home should be a priority before it spreads. Quick action should be taken to remove the affected items from contacting clean items. You need to nip this problem in the bud sooner rather than later.
4. Mold can and will eat at furniture, walls, and floors, causing structural damage.
If mold is left to fester, not only will it spread, but it will also cause the item in which its living to break down. This is especially alarming when the affected surface is a wall, floor, or part of a structure that could injure your family if it collapses or fails. You need to focus on getting rid of mold in your home before these unseen hazards can occur.
5. Sometimes, mold doesn’t smell “moldy,” but that doesn’t mean it’s not a threat.
So you’ve done your due diligence and thoroughly dried off all of the water damage. Is that all you need to do? Getting rid of mold in your home may mean going into the walls or flooring to eliminate what you can’t see. A professional has the tools needed to take care of this incessant problem before it has the opportunity to cause further damage to your home or your family.
If you have experienced water damage and are unsure if you’ve followed the correct cleanup procedures, we can help. Contact Rocky Mountain Restoration today for an assessment to see if you need help getting rid of mold in your home. After all, what is peace of mind worth?