5 Things You Should Do After a Fire in Your Home
A home fire, even a minor one, can be devastating. If a fire happens to you, you need to take certain steps to start getting your life back in order. Use this handy checklist to get started.
- Find a safe place. You need a place to sleep for at least a few days after a house fire. Even a minor fire can leave smoke and ash particulates throughout the house. Being able to stay with family or friends will make recovery easier. If you don’t have that option, ask for help from the Red Cross or Salvation Army.
- Call your insurance company. As soon as you and your family are safe, get in touch with your insurance agent. You want to get the claim process started quickly so you can start the recovery process. The agent will help you with covering expenses and getting repairs done.
- Call in a restoration company. A fire restoration company can come in and begin the cleanup process for you. They will secure your home and protect areas not affected by the fire. They will explore the extent of the damage. They can help inventory damaged items. They can clean and deodorize the space. They can begin the restoration process. You may actually get a recommendation from the insurance agent on which restoration company to use.
- Take preventative action. Your insurance policy covers items damaged by the fire. However, most policies require you, as the insured, to make sure the premises are secured against intruders or further damage. Install plywood over openings in the structure. Cover the roof with tarps to prevent rain from getting in. Your agent can tell you what you need to do.
- Take inventory of what is lost. Ideally, you will have a pre-existing home inventory that you can use to determine what was lost in the fire. Even if you don’t have one, you will still need to come up with a loss inventory for the insurance company. That inventory is what the insurance company uses to determine part of your claim. If you can provide receipts for lost items, you claim is stronger.
These simple steps will get you on the road to recovery. If you need the assistance of a restoration company, give us a call here at Rocky Mountain Restoration. We are available 24/7 to help with your fire recovery.